Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wisdom to be

Wisdom as it is.

I recently gave feedback on the draft speech of a fellow social entrepreneur who was invited as a keynote speaker for the Jane Goodall Vision 2020 symposium.

While I won't be there for the symposium (it's in Australia), I can imagine the following for events of this caliber and magnitude:  people are privileged to attend, and the event organizers bring in some of the best speakers they can find to leave all their attendees charged with the finest of rekindled hearts and solid wisdom.

While I was more or less familiar with various strategies she explores in her speech, I'm starting to realize how tremendous an opportunity it's been to have access to her speech and organization: due to the nature of the organization's programs, I've been privileged to learn about some of her organization's deepest challenges in ways that most people would never imagine possible for someone working with it in such a short amount of time.  I know that in some way, the things they might have struggled with are the very same things I struggle with too.  They probably boil down to very simple (but tremendous!) things that were affirmed at the end of her speech: perseverance, commitment, and belief in your own success before you begin.

If you're left with the same things you had questioned before, it's time to get moving--sometimes you must live to understand them, rather than know them to live.  Some ideas retain resilience even when we don't feel we have a complete grasp of reality or the concepts in our minds.  Those come from learning by undergoing the most trying challenges of fully living our lives.

Heed your vision to find your bearings before committing, keep your eyes open, and dive in

No comments: