So much orient in the metal, it's a punch in the primary audio cortex that even Edward Said would approve of. Sometimes you've got to love notes that sound this "wrong" and savor the tonal and dynamic brutality.
[side note: I pretend the location says the "Battle Tree Cafe" to boost the metal-ness of the band in my imagination]
[one more side-note: I like to imagine that Secret Chiefs 3 appear in whatever village they're supposed to perform in, and enlist most of the village's musicians to play their live concerts--two drum sets? multiple violinist/violists? multiple guitarists? Let's pilfer talented people from the place we're about to perform in!]
[last side-note: Secret chiefs have wonderful music, I'm only posting the metal/oriental blends here as I enjoy the novelty of the combination]
Also, Edward Said is a fine scholar and human being in my opinion. I'll leave it to you to find out why (hint, he pointed out the whole orientalism phenomenon in the first place! Also, he wrote about the arts too), but here's a good place to start for those not interested in reading his books: http://youtu.be/xwCOSkXR_Cw
A wonderful global funk channel on youtube:
Koto funk:
Though it's immediately rooted in Japanese and funk, I'm pretty sure the Wu-Tang clan would have appreciated this stuff.
Shamisen funk:
No comments:
Post a Comment